Saturday, July 11, 2015

Asia trip - July 2015


Bangkok, Thailand, July 11, 2014

Early morning arrival in the Thai capital. Bangkok is hot, very humid, with much to much traffic and too many people. Air pollution is quite bad and the contrast between widespread poverty and enormous wealth is striking and, of course, very regrettable. But the hustle and bustle here is also most fascinating. I have visited Bangkok several times before but it's still fascinating to see teeming life at every corner. My jet-leg and the enormous humidity today, however, undermined the enjoyment of all this a little.

Following some good advice I was given by people 'in the know', in the evening I embarked on a rather long taxi ride to the outskirts of the city to catch a boat to a fish restaurant. The boat ride of half an hour or so through a somewhat remote part of the seashore was interesting - rumors that I felt like Indiana Jones are however exaggerated - and the restaurant was good. Only finding a taxi to get back proved to be a challenge: it took me over an hour. While waiting in the open air, this of course gave me plenty of opportunity to enjoy the mosquitos and the still enormous evening humidity.





No comments:

Post a Comment